Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Writer's Digest Got it Going On!

Yet another Writer's Digest writing prompt that got my attention. Admittedly, I had to sift through a few pages before finding this, but I'm patient. This particular prompt is very unique and hopefully will help me learn to write details. Here it is:

Look around the room and pick an object. Write one paragraph describing the object in full detail and a second paragraph explaining where it came from.


Photo credit: dianaschnuth


My garbage bin sits underneath my tiny work desk. It makes for less leg room, but admittedly, there is no other place to put it inside the office. The tan, plastic garbage bin stands a little over a foot tall, a foot and a half wide and less than a foot deep. To say it's ordinary is an understatement! The black garbage bag that lines it is tied taught to one side by a knot. It's contents include: 3/4 full container of low fat mixed berry yogurt (sweetened with Splenda, I couldn't stomach the horrible aspertain taste) with a plastic disposable spoon still in the container, a Trader Joe's brand Jasmine Green Tea bag and some of the tea steeped dark (leftover from yesterday's afternoon cup), and the plastic packaging for the heavy duty plastic binder dividers along with the colorful paper packaging that pictures and describes the product's features. Probably the strangest of the bin's contents are a dozen budless flower stems with dried leaves and all. The multi-colored roses survived almost two weeks in the murky waters; a gift from my thoughtful co-workers on my 30th birthday.
Everyone in the office appears to have their own garbage bin. For those who lock their doors at the end of the work day, they leave the bins outside in the hallway. All lined up, they get magically emptied after hours, and often re-lined with new garbage bags (especially for those bins that had food and drink). Every morning my officemate arrives to work before me, she thoughtfully places my garbage bin underneath my desk...always in the exact spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment