Saturday, February 14, 2009

Serenity Prayer

**Original posting on Live Journal on January 21, 2009**

My therapist suggested that in addition to meditation, I add some sort of prayer to aid in my spiritual balance. I meditate everyday, and think light blue, light green and golden yellow (in terms of the color of my aura). I'm open to some sort of prayer; afterall, I do believe in a higher being. I'm not sure if I believe completely in the God and the faith my parents bestowed upon me at birth (and 20 some odd years of my life), so until I'm convinced that I can believe that again, I need an alternative to the traditional prayer. Then just like that, while online I came across The Serenity Prayer.


Photo credit: imapix

The Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next. Amen.

--Reinhold Niebuhr

This Reinhold Niebuhr has something here. A prayer unlike anything I've ever had to memorize for religion class in elementary school, and one that I can get on board with. No mention of a being "who art in heaven," or 'full of grace," or "praying for us sinners." The prayer is almost empowering and new age--I like it!

Now to memorize it. Maybe at least the first stanza?

Exercise, vitamins, good healthy food, meditation and prayer...combine with some reading, relaxing and hanging out with family and friends will help my body, mind and soul stay balanced.

No comments:

Post a Comment