Friday, February 20, 2009

Writing Exercise(s) Found Online Part 2

The minute I read this writing prompt, I knew I wanted to do it. I had a blast attempting to write the prose in my last writing exercise, and I can only imagine this will be even more fun. (Dialogue is hard to write...for some reason.) Here's the prompt:

Shifts in Perspective: Write about a past family gathering, the most embarrassing thing that ever happened in your high school, the best (or worst) teacher you ever had, the time you learned to do something important (swim, ride a bike, use a computer), or the biggest event you ever attended. Write the story in as much detail as possible, explaining what you saw, what you did, and how you felt. Then rewrite the same story from the perspective of someone else - a relative, a fellow student, another participant, a passer-by, etc.






My Perspective

Mr. Bob Matthews was every one's favorite 7th grade teacher...favorite teacher, period. He gave us 7th graders a reason to like Math and Science. In fact, Science was my favorite subject back then because of him. I'll never forget receiving an A+ in Science on my report card. Who gets an A+ in Science?! It was all the extra credit points he used to issue us after the actual exam. Fun little tidbits of knowledge that we'd absorb like a sponge. For instance, FUCK is an acronym--For UnCardinal Knowledge. Yup, that's something we learned from Mr. Matthews. He knew what was and wasn't appropriate.

Last day of 7th grade, someone had the idea that we'd do a nice send off to Mr. Matthews. Earlier in the year, he showed us the movie, Dead Poets' Society with Robin Williams. Everyone was captivated by the movie. To this day, I think of 7th grade when I watch or the mere mention of the movie. Last day of school...12:15 or something like that because it was a half day...the bell rings, I and 30 other classmates stand on top of our desks and say, "O Captain, My Captain". Just like in the movie, we are emotional. Tears stream down my cheeks. I look around the room and it's not an uncommon emotion. Mr. Matthews looks as if he's near tears. He bows. He says a few parting words of gratitude, and then quickly leaves the room. We got to him...and he had to run out of the room cause he didn't want us to see him cry.



The Janitor's Perspective

That Bob Matthews was every one's favorite teacher. Always kids around him staying after class with questions. I was mopping the hallway near his classroom the other day and I heard how he captivated his students. One student proclaimed, "You make Science so much fun!" He treats his students with respect and you get a sense that he's making a difference in their lives.

Yesterday was the last day of school. I was doing my rounds upstairs when I peaked inside Mr. Matthews classroom. He stood before them and the students were on top of their desks. Strange sight. Some looked very emotional with tears in their eyes. Mr. Matthews himself looked near tears. He was speaking in front of the class one minute and then rushing out the door the next. Matter of fact he almost ran into me on his way out. The students came down from their desks and cried. Hugged each other and cried. I wonder if it had anything to do with them being 8th graders now.

No comments:

Post a Comment